Everyone knows that Hollywood’s award season is like the March Madness of beauty, with the big game played at the Oscars. For 2014, I along with talented team and agency partners led the digital creative concept and execution of what was the most successful social campaign for the brand to date, the 2014 #WantThatHair Oscars Red Carpet. And to boast, we did it with far less resources than our competitors and without the added values of brand sponsorship of the show yet managed to own the social, second-screen conversation with the use of our already popular brand hashtag, #WantThatHair.
Designed to touch our consumer before, during and after the broadcast, our “night of” activation inspired the most engagement with our new target consumer than the brand had previously had. Within our multi-war room, my team and I worked with Getty images live Red Carpet feed to immediately identify the hottest red carpet trends and create posts like Jared Leto’s ‘Ombre Waves’ that were relevant to the moment. In addition to tip cards that linked back to existing how-to content, we also concepted and executed style polls with Wedgies for immediate “talk back” from consumers who were watching with us.
Key wins and results of our amazing work include:
- A triple use of ‘#WantThatHair’ by consumers compared to the entire year of 2013 in just one night.
- More organic use of #WantThatHair than all beauty brands who activated that night.
- 4X more organic conversation versus L’Oreal’s Golden Globes paid sponsorship activation.
- A gain of over 900 new Twitter followers in one night.
- A cost per engagement of 10.4x efficiency.
- Daniel Sumbang & Kira Gortabakin
- Robyn Milzer